Soundbites From the Edge

Wikipedia: Soundbite: Characterized by a short phrase or sentence that deftly captures the essence of what the speaker is trying to say. Such key moments in dialogue (or monologue) stand out better in the audience's memory and thus become the "taste" that best represents the entire "meal" of the larger message or conversation. Sound bites are a natural consequence of people placing ever greater emphasis on summarizing ever-increasing amounts of information in their lives. Welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, May 08, 2006

Hello Kitty starring in new role... "Clothesline Girl"

I'm starting to think perhaps I should have pursued a career in acting. I frequently find myself spinning daily tasks, convincing myself I'm just playing a role in an Oprah approved movie re-run featured on the Lifetime Channel Network. Mostly to take the focus away from the truly mundane nature of the tasks I engage in on a daily basis.
Some of my prior experience includes performing in the following roles:
- Vegan (played for 2 years)
- Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian (following year)
- Asian Vegetarian (Not sure what that even means, but I recall playing the role enthusiastically)
- Raw vegetarian (6 months)
- Carnivore with vegetarian leanings (presently)
- Professional Whole Foods Market Shopper (I've been blowing paychecks here for 10 years and counting)
- Environmentalist
- Rower (10 years)
- Yogi (14 years and counting. This one has staying power!)
- German Language enthusiast (3 months in College German 101 and it sure went poorly, didn't it mom!)
- Post mature Gardener (Second summer in this role and still enjoying it although this year I plan on getting plants in the ground before July)
- Jack Daniels enthusiast (No presently, but I don't recall how long that performance went on)
- Mamma (5 years and counting)
I'd love to give the role of Recreational Drug User a shot, but I really shouldn't so I won't. You know, that girl who keep sedatives on hand for a rough day. Thankfully for my children I'm presently too straight laced for this, but perhaps you'll see me take on the role of Mommy Dearest if Clara continues with her frequent and unrelenting emotional assertions.
- Blogger (I'm probably good for another month of this)
And now Introducing... (Drum roll please...)

Clothesline Girl!

I just tried out and awarded my self this role one week ago today when my dryer bit it. I know she doesn't sound exciting, but SHE IS! Quite exciting! Not only because she is environmentally friendly, but she also requires LOTS of great props like cute aprons with cherry prints that gather at the waist and have smallish pockets to hold clothespins. And a beautiful wicker basket and undergarments worthy of display are a must! It really was HIGH time for actress currently playing Clothesline Girl to get new non-maternity, post-partum undergarments. She has happily departed from a time when the only bra's she could sensibly purchase were created to facilitate nursing and had straps wide enough to accommodate an incoming Boeing 737. (Not to mention a cup size that's far enough along in the alphabet that Clara hasn't quite gotten to that letter yet!)
I digress. Clothesline Girl isn't a role I've considered before, having habitated in suburbia or cities where, while still environmentally friendly, underwear dangling from lines looks more like debris than a charming display. But now that I've relocated to the West Side of Nowhere colorful garments and cute little socks suspended from a crisp white line on a 5 acre parcel makes my heart SING!

So now I wake up each morning and quickly slip into my new role as "Clothesline girl"!

Camera... lights... action:

It's 7A.M. and Clothesline Girl rises, stretches and ambles to the kitchen following the scent of freshly husband-brewed coffee. She stops, gracefully draws hair back from her face and takes a sip of coffee, light and sweet. Mmmmmm. Clothesline girl places mug down, winks at her husband and saunters over to the washer where freshly spun clothes await. She opens washer and pulls out white crisp 100% Egyptian cotton sheets and colorful new undergarments and places them in wicker basket. Our leading lady then secures kerchief to hold back disheveled tresses, slips on cute apron and makes her way to the front door listing toward the basket perched on the upper left quadrant of her diminishing muffin top. Door opens, (D.J. pipes in "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music). Cool morning breeze wafts in, shepherding Clothesline girl into a more wakeful state. Clothesline girl shakes her hair out and takes in a deep breath of lilac laden air. She hesitates while the wind playfully flips up loose strands. Several cars pass by at this time admiring Clothesline Girl from afar. They think to themselves... "Oh look, it's Clothesline Girl!" and just a glimpse is enough to get them through their day. She moves on, unaware of admirers, (yeah right) floating down to the clothesline located just behind the house. Remote enough to afford passers by just a glimpse of the line...

Camera fades out
Clothesline Girl goes through the mundane task of actually hanging the sopping wet clothes that soak the front of her cute apron. She inevitably drops clean wet clothes in the dirt as she always tries to pick up too many clothes at once, hurrying through the mundane part to get back to the show.

Camera starts rolling 10 minutes later as she saunters back to her front door, light empty basket on hip, stopping for a minute to let the wind play with her hair again on the front step as several cars pass by.

Door closes... music fades...
Clothesline girl has completed morning task and now prepares for other roles including but not limited to Lead Project manager at Waste Processing Plant, Chauffer, Dance Instructor, Storyteller, Domestic Goddess and at 5:45 pm Wine Enthusiast....

PS. Appliance guy, Clothesline Girl will be calling you to fix the dryer this fall when cool temps set in and she morphs into "Dryer Girl."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...I was wondering if that
most loved appliance of yours was fixed yet : ). Knew you could adapt well if not though!
I feel you are sending your twin vibe my way again woman. Let me share shall I?
To my dismay, yesterday morning I flung open my dryer, yanked all the garments out, struggled to place them in a pretty volcano shape on the bed, went back to the dryer to close the door and BLAM...there it was! PINK CHEWING GUM...smeared and hardened all over the back vent inside!
Some f*****bleepin FF*** had forgotten to check the pockets of the jeans again AHHH ( probably the one typing this ). So for all that will see me in the coming weeks...yes that is gum stuck on the ass of my pants!
Love ya kitty!!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home