Soundbites From the Edge

Wikipedia: Soundbite: Characterized by a short phrase or sentence that deftly captures the essence of what the speaker is trying to say. Such key moments in dialogue (or monologue) stand out better in the audience's memory and thus become the "taste" that best represents the entire "meal" of the larger message or conversation. Sound bites are a natural consequence of people placing ever greater emphasis on summarizing ever-increasing amounts of information in their lives. Welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The way I see it#1

I picked up a Starbucks coffee on my way home from the movies tonight. Their cups now have "The Way I see it" quotes on them which I LOVE and am going to run on my blog, only with the way that I, not Rev Run from Run-DMC, sees it. I've had the compulsion to communicate every little thing that occurs to me, I'm told, since I was about three. This would fall under the category of Things My Husband Doesn't Love About Me, so I usually call my mom and if I get her voicemail I start running down my speed dial to find some poor unsuspecting friend that can lend me their ear for a minute or two… I think it might work out well for all the peeps in my life if I work this compulsion out here, in virtual bedlam where the end is just one click away

So here goes#1
The way I see it, if you are giving a gift to a baby who has the capacity to enjoy repeating sounds but is incapable of pressing tricky spots on toys AND doesn't have a mommy who likes pressing tricky spots or older siblings willing to be put on task, find something else to give. These toys usually say for ages 3 and up in bold print for good reason. MOSTLY SO THAT A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS ARE NOT INITIATED as detailed in the following three scenarios:

Scenario One: The Mommy will present the baby with the age inappropriate gift, press the button and walk away in anticipation of a moment to herself. The music, or sound (usually irritating) will probably play for 5 seconds if she's lucky. The child will love the music and will want to hear it over and over and over again (ad infinitum) but will be unable to press the tricky spot to make it happen. The Mommy will be too busy to keep going back to press the tricky spot ad infinitum so the baby, feeling helpless, will scream in frustration. The mommy will feel extremely sad inside.
Scenario Two: The Zoë, uh, I mean baby, will hear the noise once and will like it and want "AGAIN". This baby is fiercely independent and will not allow the mother to press the tricky spot but will throw the toy about or bear down on the toy with full weight of her body because she kind of gets the idea, but not really, so her attempts are futile. The Zoë, uh I mean baby, will scream in frustration and the mother will feel helpless that she passed the fiercely independent gene on. The mommy will feel like a failure even though, like all mommies, she has probably accomplished more by 9am than most non-mommies will accomplish in a week.
Scenario Three: The child and the mommy will sit together for hours on end enjoying this toy together with mommy happily pressing the tricky spot over and over again for her baby and while I admire this mommy for being so good, I can't relate to this mommy so I'm not sure how this would turn out. I know if I pretended to be that good mommy and did this, I'd be ready for "them" to come take my away in a white suit by 4 pm., London time.

I wouldn't know anything about SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS happening so I guess that's just something I needed to get off my chest. Phew.

This is the authors opinion, not necessarily the opinion of Hello Kitty. She would probably unleash Sanrio Nation on my buttocks for saying anything negative about SPonge Bob Square pants who is featured in the photo. I have always suspected that there is a steamy affair going on between these two charaters. Additionally, this post may not even be the authors opinion tomorrow as the author changes her mind with great frequency. Read this blog at your own risk.

1 Comments:

Blogger BabyonBored said...

How about just giving gift certificates? I seem to get given way to many lacy "adorable" outfits and who has time to dress an 18 month old like they're a doll?

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home