Soundbites From the Edge

Wikipedia: Soundbite: Characterized by a short phrase or sentence that deftly captures the essence of what the speaker is trying to say. Such key moments in dialogue (or monologue) stand out better in the audience's memory and thus become the "taste" that best represents the entire "meal" of the larger message or conversation. Sound bites are a natural consequence of people placing ever greater emphasis on summarizing ever-increasing amounts of information in their lives. Welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, March 19, 2006

The banana debacle

Dear Zizzles,
My willful little cherub. You're not very pleased with me right now, I've failed you yet again. You asked me sweetly for "mani, mani" (banana) which I was happy to oblige. I had over half a dozen ripe organic mani's dangling from the handy banana dangler. Pulled one off... peeled it down and as you saw me doing so you yelled no, No, NOOOOO"!!! I flinched from my hair follicles all the way down to my bruised big toe (you dropped a can on it my love) as i realized i'd set a tantrum into motion and there was no going back. Oops. I guess you didn't want to have ME peel it. But cut me some slack sweets, your really going to need to expand your vocabulary if you want me to get it right. And then we began the all too familiar toddler dance where, through screams and tears, you try and grab the banana from me. But I know you too well darling, its beond the point where you still want to eat it. I've already RUINED the banana by peeling it. You just want it so you can slam it to the ground and step all over it. But I can't let you do that baby, because then i'll have a tantrum and a mess on my hands and its only 9am and the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I'm so sorry I ruined your morning. I promise I won't peel the banana next time. Although I bet if I didn't peeled it, I'd be failing you as well. I know, your 1.5 and life is stressful. You've got teeth breaking through a plenty, your hairs in an awkward stage and you've not yet mastered the verb/noun situation.
But cut me some slack babes. There's not enough caffeine in the Northern Hemisphere to wake me up after the sleep deprivation I've endured over the last 5 years. Plus courtesy of alternating years of gaining and losing 40 lbs (or growing and delivering Max, Clara and you) I've got enough extra skin around my abdomen to dangle 50 bananas and wouldn't it be big of me to consider that a feature.

Love Mamma

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i so understand this debacle! i must be very careful how i present and offer food - they joys of having a toddler - it's endless

9:57 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

you were in my house last week weren't you? You just described my mornings last week. I can't do right by my 3yr old. He wants me to cut the food, no he'll do, no mamma do it, no daddy. Grrr. Though I wouldn't wish this torture on anyone (well ok I can think of a couple people) I am happy I'm not the only one going through this. Good luck!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home