Soundbites From the Edge

Wikipedia: Soundbite: Characterized by a short phrase or sentence that deftly captures the essence of what the speaker is trying to say. Such key moments in dialogue (or monologue) stand out better in the audience's memory and thus become the "taste" that best represents the entire "meal" of the larger message or conversation. Sound bites are a natural consequence of people placing ever greater emphasis on summarizing ever-increasing amounts of information in their lives. Welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, July 15, 2006

A Song, My Life and Where the Twain Might Meet


While I simple adore my wee three and would circle the earth in shackles if it would ensure their eternal happiness, I could imagine circumstances where I might want to jump on a train to nowhere fast. Circumstances like my inability to keep up with the laundry, circumstances like my inability to cross 2 of my three children over the potty threshold. And if it did happen that I flew the coop, or scoop, I'd imagine that, with a little tweakin, my adventure might be well narrated by Kenny Rogers song, "The Gambler":

"On a warm summer's evenin' on a train bound for nowhere,
I met up with a mother; we were both too tired to sleep.
So we took turns a starin' out the window at the darkness
'Til boredom overtook us, and she began to speak.

She said, "Girl, I've made my life out of readin' people's faces,
And knowin' what their cards were by the way they held their eyes.
so if you don't mind my sayin', I can see you're out of aces.
For a taste of your whiskey I'll give you some advice."

So I handed her my bottle and she drank down my last swallow.
Then she bummed a *cigarette and asked me for a light.
And the night got deathly quiet, and her face lost all expression.
Said, "If you're gonna play the game, girl, ya gotta learn to play it right.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run..."

*************

Indeed

Disclaimer: *House of Kitty neither condones nor engages in smoking, child abandonment nor whiskey consumption (OK maybe Whiskey Sours on occasion). However she could imagine, especially in the third person, that on the run, anything could happen.

Thanks for the writing prompt over at CHBM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home