Soundbites From the Edge

Wikipedia: Soundbite: Characterized by a short phrase or sentence that deftly captures the essence of what the speaker is trying to say. Such key moments in dialogue (or monologue) stand out better in the audience's memory and thus become the "taste" that best represents the entire "meal" of the larger message or conversation. Sound bites are a natural consequence of people placing ever greater emphasis on summarizing ever-increasing amounts of information in their lives. Welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 29, 2007

A moment in Bedlam

Scene: Saturday morning... Clara crawling toward the family room, Max in toe, hitting her with a Christmas wrapping paper tube. Clara isn't screaming, but the repetitive thrashing motion of the wrapping paper tube pulls me from my own eternal repetitive action, of moving clothes from the washer to the dryer...

Me: "Max, stop hitting Clara!"
Max: "I'm not, I'm whipping her!"
Me: "Oh"

I'm always thrown off by the adjective quick switch. Max is aware of this, is good with words and frequently uses this technique. He knows somehow (perhaps by my dumfounded silence) that it's confusing for me when he uses synonyms. So it's true that he's not hitting her, it is a more accurate statement, based on the implement he's using that it is more of a whipping action and now somehow I'm lost in a world of comprehending that he can use synonyms accurately in a sentence and by the time I arise from the fog, the moment has passed and I've just noticed that Clara is now snapping the mouse trap open and shut and the potential of her snapping off her finger is now ranking above disciplining aforementioned buttocks whooping.

Namaste.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...The adjective switch, I'm embarrassed to say the boy has tripped me up with this one many times also.
My reaction is always one of confusion.
Either total silence for about 5 min. and then an attempt at rebuttal or an instant barrage of gibberish that usually finishes with the phrase go to your room for talking back to your mother ( if I can get all the words out in that order).

gi : )

8:42 AM  
Blogger Hello Kitty said...

I love that we are so in sync.
Our talks save me from requiring therapy!

xoxo
k

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home